Situated on U.S. 27 and U.S. 33 at the intersection of U.S. 224, 21 miles southeast of Fort Wayne and approximately six miles from the Ohio state line, Decatur enjoys a fine locale that blends the farm economy of the rural area with thriving, diversified industries.
Beginning as a small farming settlement in 1836, Decatur was named for the American naval hero Stephen Decatur, who spearheaded the destruction of the frigate Philadelphia after its capture at Tripoli.
Decatur was incorporated in 1853, and a road connected the new town with Fort Wayne. From this time on, Decatur has prospered, attracting business and industry. Fine schools were built. Churches came or expanded, and paved streets appeared.
Decatur is a beautiful town with happy, friendly people. The pleasant mixture of modern homes, well-kept older homes, tree-shaded streets and gardens shows the pride of ownership and community pride. The homes vary is style and price, yet all are surrounded with the natural beauty that makes Decatur a great place to live.
Decatur Information courtesy of the Decatur Chamber of Commerce